We were inspired by the Andreessen Horowitz model of providing top class services to portfolio companies. We’re starting with media because these strategies do work and are low risk/high reward for startups. Even an extremely lean, revenue focused business will benefit from basic content marketing and a social media strategy. Rightly or wrongly, first impressions make a difference.
We currently offer:
- Growth strategies: landing pages, analytics, ads
- Content marketing in English, Spanish, Portuguese and Chinese
- PR in English, Spanish, Portuguese and Chinese
- Podcast production
- Video production
- Social Media management
Here’s some of our success stories:
- An LP invested in Magma’s second fund after listening to my Crossing Borders podcast.
- Diego Caicedo, CEO of Magma portfolio company OmniBnk, was invited all-expenses-paid to a fintech conference in London based on his appearance in a fintech publication and got multiple inbound requests from investors interested in evaluating the business for investment.
- Jooycar, one of the companies from our first fund, found their follow-on investor through a byline by founder Maria Paz Gillet in an insurtech industry magazine .
- We built a brand in China, raised money from LPs and have worked with large Chinese companies after a series of articles we wrote for 36Kr (Chinese TechCrunch).
We started Magma Partners in 2014 in an effort to bring US venture capital standards to Latin America. Latin American founders lacked access to clean term sheets, quick turn around times, but most importantly, very few funds had the entrepreneurial experience to help startups at the pre-seed and seed stage.
Our thesis is that many companies were dying because they didn’t have a network of people who could help them avoid mistakes, take advantage of opportunities and then raise future rounds in the United States.
We’re well on our way to helping early stage companies with clean term sheets and US style investments, but after investing into 50+ startups in Latin America over the past five years, we’ve started to see some patterns.
Magma Media is the first piece of our next step, which will be to continue to build out services that help our own portfolio and top companies around the region. If you’re interested in learning more, check out our post on the Magma Partners website announcing Magma Media.