You can now find the full show notes of the Crossing Borders podcast on LatamList.com’s new podcast section. I’ll still post the audio of the podcast on my blog and I’m planning to start writing more again on my blog, like I used to.
Subscribe to the LatamList Weekly newsletter to get updated on the week’s top tech news and stories from the region.
Thanks for listening to Crossing Borders all these years! If you have any feedback or questions, please feel free to reach out here, or contact me on social media.
Outline of this episode:
- [2:44] – What is UBits?
- [3:09] – Courses the platform offers
- [4:00] – How did you decide on UBits?
- [5:26] – Why Marta decided to build a company
- [7:18] – The benefits of a supportive dad
- [9:32] – First steps in founding UBits.
- [11:32] – How did you meet your co-founder?
- [13:33] – On getting their first client
- [15:40] – Decision to focus exclusively on online courses.
- [16:52] – Toward a scalable business model
- [18:22] – When did you decide to start raising money for the business?
- [18:35] – Bootstrapping in Latin America.
- [19:40] – Applying for Y Combinator
- [23:20] -Tips for a Y Combinator interview.
- [25:18] – How did you practice putting everything into 15-second responses?
- [26:20] – Going to the US with a strategic plan and not feeling shame.
- [29:24] – How to make the most of YC
- [31:23] – Raising an investment round after Y Combinator.
- [33:05] – Advice to other Latin American founders trying to raise in the US.
- [35:10] – Being a female founder in Latin America.
- [36:40] – How the ecosystem can improve on being more gender-inclusive.
- [38:20] – Advice for women looking to raise money in the US and expand their business.
- [40:46] – Marta’s top resources for entrepreneurs
- [41:47] – What’s next for you and UBits?