You can now find the full show notes of the Crossing Borders podcast on LatamList.com’s new podcast section. I’ll still post the audio of the podcast on my blog and I’m planning to start writing more again on my blog, like I used to.
Subscribe to the LatamList Weekly newsletter to get updated on the week’s top tech news and stories from the region.
Thanks for listening to Crossing Borders all these years! If you have any feedback or questions, please feel free to reach out here, or contact me on social media.
Outline of this episode:
- [1:30] – Nathan introduces Daniel
- [2:14] – Why is fraud a big problem to solve in Latin America?
- [7:08] – The difference between background checks in LatAm and the US
- [9:42] – Growing up in Cali, Colombia
- [12:48] – How startup failure led to Paladin Cyber
- [14:10] – Where did you get the attitude to give back to your home country?
- [16:14] – Lessons learned in Daniel’s childhood
- [19:32] – Why Truora likes to hire very junior engineers
- [20:21] – Lessons learned from Beepy
- [22:38] – How does experience with Beepy and Rappi influence Truora?
- [25:37] – Why transparency is important at a startup
- [26:14] – How to build the Truora team
- [27:16] – How does the app work?
- [28:35] – How to raise money for Truora
- [30:51] – Top tips for companies applying to YC
- [32:41] – How to get the most out of YC?
- [33:30] – Advice for founders raising money in LatAm
- [35:36] – What’s next for Truora?
- [36:53] – Daniel’s recommended resources
- [38:12] – Daniel’s advice to his younger self